Outdoor playhouses offer children a world of imagination, adventure, and endless fun. These miniatures also promote cognitive, physical, and social development. But why settle for an ordinary playhouse when you can transform it into something extraordinary?
Unleash your creativity and create a personalised haven that sparks joy. Keep reading to explore the best ways to customise your garden playhouse!
From Ordinary to Extraordinary
Children’s play is not just about passing the time. In this digital age, creating a dedicated space for imaginative play helps. A garden playhouse, for one, serves as a gateway to endless adventures! Besides the fun, it lets kids develop social skills and enhance cognitive abilities.
However, a simple, off-the-shelf playhouse might not fully captivate their imagination. That’s where customisation comes in! Personalising your wooden playhouse creates a space that encourages immersive play.
Without further ado, follow these tips to get started!
Choose the Perfect Outdoor Playhouse
Choosing the perfect garden playhouse involves several factors. Considering these ensures it meets your child’s needs and preferences:
Types and styles of playhouses
- Traditional wooden playhouses. Classic and durable, these playhouses offer a charming aesthetic. The Bunny Max Tower Playhouse from Garden Buildings Direct is a great example.
- Plastic playhouses. Lightweight and easy to assemble, and often feature bright colours and simple designs. They require minimal maintenance and are generally more affordable.
- Treehouse playhouses. Usually built on stilts or integrated into trees. They blend seamlessly with natural surroundings and offer a sense of excitement.
- Cottage or cabin-style playhouses. These playhouses mimic small houses. They feature windows, doors, and even porch areas. They also provide a cosy and homely feel for imaginative play. For reference, have a look at the BillyOh Lookout Log Cabin Playhouse.
Factors to consider
- Size and space. Assess the available outdoor space. Choose a playhouse that fits comfortably without overwhelming the area.
- Age and size of children. Consider the age and number of children who will be using the playhouse. This helps ensure it accommodates them comfortably and safely.
- Safety features. Look for playhouses with rounded edges and secure doors and windows. A sturdy construction is also crucial to prioritise your child’s safety.
Remember to consider your specific needs and preferences when choosing an outdoor playhouse. This will help you find the perfect playhouse that will provide years of joy for your child.
Prepare the Garden Playhouse for Customisation
The preparation involves several important steps to ensure a smooth and successful transformation. Make sure you’re aware of your sizes and space first. A 6×4 wooden playhouse may be larger than the size suggests if it has a tower, slide, or platform base.
Cleaning and inspecting the wooden playhouse
- Remove any debris, dirt, or cobwebs from both the exterior and interior of the playhouse.
- Use a mild detergent or soapy water and a soft brush or cloth to scrub the surfaces gently.
- Rinse thoroughly with clean water and allow the playhouse to dry completely.
- Inspect the playhouse for any signs of damage, such as cracks, loose boards, or splinters.
- Check for any protruding nails or screws that may pose a safety hazard.
Repairing any damages or wear
- Fix any cracks or splinters by sanding them down with sandpaper until smooth.
- Replace any loose or damaged boards, ensuring they are securely fastened.
- Use wood filler to fill in any gaps or holes, and sand the area once the filler has dried.
- Replace any broken or missing hardware, such as hinges, handles, or latches.
- Ensure all doors and windows are properly aligned and functioning.
Surface preparation for painting or staining
- If you plan to paint the playhouse, consider using a primer to provide a smooth and even base for the paint.
- Sand the surfaces lightly to remove any roughness. Do it carefully to create a better adhesion for the paint or stain.
- Wipe away any dust or debris with a clean cloth before applying the paint or stain.
- Protect surrounding areas, such as windows, with masking tape or plastic sheets.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for optimal results. For instance, on the drying times and the number of coats needed.
This step can ensure that your customised design will adhere well. Most importantly, create a visually appealing and long-lasting transformation for your garden playhouse.
Exterior Customisation Ideas
Here are some creative ideas to transform the look of your playhouse:
- Painting and staining options. Choose vibrant colours to make the playhouse stand out, or opt for natural wood stains for a rustic look. Use non-toxic, child-safe paint to ensure durability and safety.
- Adding creative designs and patterns. Create a themed playhouse by painting elements like flowers, animals, or favourite characters. Experiment with geometric patterns, polka dots, or stripes for a whimsical appearance.
- Using decals, stencils, or murals. Apply vinyl decals of shapes, letters, or characters to personalise the playhouse. Use stencils to create intricate designs or patterns, e.g. stars or a checkerboard floor.
- Incorporating weather-resistant accessories or decors. Hang colourful wind chimes, bunting, or flags to add movement and visual interest. Place flower boxes or hanging baskets filled with blooms for a charming touch of nature.
Note: Focus on safety when customising the exterior of the playhouse.
Interior Customisation Ideas
Customising the interior allows you to create a magical and functional space. Here are some ideas to inspire your interior customisation:
- Theme-based decorations and colours. Choose a specific theme, such as a fairy tale, outer space, or jungle, and decorate accordingly. Select colours that complement the theme, creating a cohesive and immersive environment.
- Furnishing options for play and comfort. Add soft cushions, pillows, and rugs to create a cosy and comfortable seating area. Install a mini kitchenette with play utensils for pretend cooking adventures. Include a reading nook with a bookshelf, bean bag chairs, and a soft reading light.
- Storage solutions to maximise space. Install shelves, cubbies, or baskets to keep toys, books, and art supplies organised. Utilise hanging storage pockets or hooks on the walls for easy access to smaller items.
- Install lighting or other electrical features. Add battery-powered fairy lights or string lights for a magical and cosy atmosphere. Consider incorporating a small battery-operated fan or heater for comfort during different seasons.
Note: Ensure that any electrical features or furnishings are child-safe and properly installed.
There you have it! We’ve explored the best ways to customise your playhouse. By following these tips and tricks, you can elevate the play experience to new heights.
So, what are you waiting for? Let your creativity soar, and let the enchantment begin! Make sure to let your child’s interests, passions, and imagination guide your choices.Shop Playhouses