Have you ever heard of an overlap garden shed? These unique structures are gaining popularity among homeowners and garden enthusiasts. All thanks to their distinct features and versatility. They stand out from the crowd due to their construction technique. But it’s not just about looks, as they offer practical benefits, too!
In this guide, we will uncover more about this type of outdoor building. We’ll explore their characteristics, functional features, benefits, and creative uses. Keep reading!
What Are Overlap Garden Sheds?
An overlap garden shed distinguishes itself for its distinctive construction method. The design involves layering timber boards, setting them apart from sheds with T&G panels.
In tongue and groove construction found in standard sheds, the boards interlock. Whereas the boards in overlap models feature boards layered on top of each other. This method enhances weather resistance by allowing rainwater to run off, preventing leaks. Furthermore, the overlap design bolsters the shed’s structural integrity.
Besides its durability, an overlap shed contributes to the aesthetics of any garden. The natural look of the timber boards effortlessly integrates with the outdoor environment.
Overlap garden sheds are also known for their easy assembly. So installing one in your outdoor space doesn’t have to be that demanding. What’s more, the design comes in various sizes and allows for versatility in storage options.
A great example is our BillyOh Keeper Overlap Apex Shed. The overlap panels have a sloped design, which allows rainwater to run off easily. While the cladding does not form a full seal on the walls, allowing air ventilation, which helps keep rot at bay.
The Functional Features
Overlap garden sheds come in a range of sizes and designs. Some designs even include additional features that provide extra functionality, such as:
- Lean-to: A design where one side of the shed is constructed to lean against an existing wall or building. It maximises space and provides convenient access to the interior.
- Shed with log store on side: It combines a standard shed with a dedicated log storage area. The main compartment is perfect for general garden storage. Meanwhile, the attached log store offers a dry and accessible space for firewood.
Now, onto the functional features that make them practical garden storage solutions:
- Easy DIY assembly: The straightforward self-assembly saves you time and effort.
- Customisation: They can be customised with shelves, hooks, and other accessories.
- Aesthetic appeal: Their natural timber look blends seamlessly with outdoor environments. This, in turn, enhances your garden’s overall aesthetics.
- Eco-friendly materials: Some overlap sheds are constructed using sustainable and eco-friendly materials. This appeals to environmentally conscious consumers.
- Cost-efficiency: Overlap garden sheds typically offer an excellent balance between cost and quality. This guarantees long-term value for your investment.
- Low maintenance: They require minimal maintenance. Often limited to occasional cleaning and treating the timber for extended durability.
Benefits of Overlap Garden Sheds
Overlap sheds are highly regarded for their durability and exceptional weather resistance. By layering the boards one on top of another, the shed forms a protective barrier against rain, wind, and other environmental factors.
Another notable advantage of overlap sheds is their spacious interiors and high ceilings. The ample space allows for efficient organisation and easier access and storage. The generous height ensures that tall items can be accommodated without any hassle. This versatility makes overlap sheds also suitable as workshops or even home offices.
They often include windows and ventilation options. This invites more natural light in, reducing the need for artificial lighting during the day. Additionally, proper ventilation options promote airflow. These include vents or opening windows. Such additions help prevent moisture buildup and keep the shed fresh and airy.Furthermore, the overlapping design effectively repels rainwater. This ensures that it runs off the shed rather than seeping inside. It also prevents leaks and keeps the interior dry, preventing moisture damage. Furthermore, the overlapping boards create a stronger and more robust structure. This, overall, enhances the shed’s resistance to external forces like strong winds.
In terms of maintenance, overlap sheds have an advantage over other shed types. Due to their unique construction, they require minimal upkeep. Sturdy timber boards are often pressure-treated to enhance their durability and longevity. This, in turn, reduces the need for frequent maintenance.
Occasional checks for any loose boards or signs of wear will do. Paired with basic cleaning, you can keep your shed in excellent condition for years.
Overlap garden sheds offer a wide range of applications, making them incredibly versatile. They serve as ideal storage spaces for gardening tools. What’s more, they can house bicycles, freeing up space in your garage. Outdoor furniture, such as patio sets, can also find a secure spot in an overlap shed during the off-season.
But overlap sheds have the potential to become much more than just storage solutions. With their spacious interiors and sturdy construction, they can be transformed into:
- hobby rooms for arts and crafts
- garden office for those in need of a separate work area
- workshops for DIY enthusiasts (e.g., basic woodworking)
To further personalise an overlap shed, consider customisation options. Examples include adding shelves or hooks for efficient organisation. Installing lighting fixtures or power outlets. Or painting the exterior to match your garden’s aesthetic. The possibilities for customisation are endless! This ensures that your overlap shed reflects your needs while maximising its functionality.
An overlap garden shed is a durable and versatile outdoor storage solution. With its construction technique of overlapping timber boards, it offers excellent weather resistance.
The spacious interiors, high ceilings, and various sizes cater to diverse storage needs. Moreover, the presence of windows and ventilation options enhances lighting and airflow. Its low maintenance requirements make it a practical choice.
Whether as a garden shed storage, outdoor workshop, or home garden office, an overlap shed is a worthwhile investment. Next on your reading list: The Difference Between a Pent and Apex Summerhouse