Planning Permission For Your Garden Building

Garden buildings may be subject to planning permission. It always helps to check whether you need to get one before purchasing the model you want. In this quick guide, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know.

What is Planning Permission?

Planning permission is the approval needed before various forms of construction can begin. In this case, garden buildings apply to home extensions, sheds, greenhouses, and so on.

It’s a form of legal consent from your local planning authority (LPA), often your local council. The LPA reviews applications based on criteria to decide whether to approve or reject them.

Each local council has its own planning department and website with relevant information. If planning permission is needed, you must complete an application. Always confirm requirements with your local authority before starting construction if in doubt.

Does my garden building require one?

BillyOh Switch Overlap Pent Shed
BillyOh Switch Overlap Pent Shed

Generally, no. This is because garden buildings are considered permitted development. Contact your LPA if you’re unsure if your unit falls into this category. If it does, it will be subject to limits and conditions.

What Are the Limits and Conditions?

You’re allowed to build or install a garden building as long as you comply with the following:

  • The building regulations stipulate that the structure shouldn’t surpass one storey.
  • The maximum eaves height limit is 2.5 metres. For buildings with a pitched or apex roof, the maximum height permitted is 4 metres. Those with a pent roof shouldn’t exceed 3 metres in height.
  • There are no verandas, balconies, or raised platforms. A platform must not exceed 0.3 metres in height.
  • The garden building must be placed at least 2 metres away from the boundary of your dwelling house. Additionally, it can’t be placed in front of your property.
  • The structure can’t be used as living accommodation. This includes sleeping accommodation or a place for someone to live.
  • It must take up less than 50% of your grounds around your original house. This term means the house as it was first built or as it stood on July 1st, 1948. You. may not have built an extension to the house, but a previous owner may have done so.

If your garden building doesn’t meet these criteria, you’ll need to apply for planning permission; otherwise, you needn’t worry.

Are there special considerations?

Yes, there are, and these apply mostly to designated lands and listed buildings.

Planning permission is necessary if you live in a designated land, like the National Park. This is especially true if any part of your unit sits between the side of your house and your property’s boundary. The same rule applies if you live in a listed building, a.k.a. a structure with historical interest or special architecture.

It’s recommended that you read a technical guidance document from the UK Government. So that you understand how permitted development rules might apply to your situation.

We hope this planning guide has been helpful to you. If you have any further questions, contact us and don’t hesitate to give us a call at 01909 768840.

Next on your reading list: Do You Need Planning Permission for a Summerhouse?