The Science of Soil
Soil is the top layer of the Earth’s surface and is where plants grow. Soil is typically made of humus, minerals, and disintegrated rock, and is an extremely important part of the natural world. It is responsible for functions that include the growth of plants, the accumulation of land water and the dispersion of gasses. Many resources are available online that will lead you to a better understanding of the science of soil.
What’s In Soil?
- The Dirt on Soil: information about the ecosystem founding the soil right under your feet.
- What is Soil?: information from the Soil Science Society of America.
- Soil for Kids: a resource about soil for kids, includes games and activities
- Soil and composting: information on the nature of soil and the impact of composting.
- Soil activities: lessons and activities using soil and its components to learn about ecosystems.
- Soil biology: diversity of organisms found in the soil
- Soil organisms: learn what purpose the organisms that live in and on the soil serve to nature as a whole.
- Nutrients in the Soil: nutrients found in soil are important to the plants that grow in that soil.
- Soil Minerals: mineral richness is required for soil fertility.
- Earthworms: earthworms make their home in the soil.
- More About Worms: microorganisms and earthworms live side by side in healthy soil.
- Soil Ingredients: soil behavior is based on the proportion of ingredients found in soil samples.
- Rocks and Soil: resource for younger children to learn about the composition of soil.
- National Science Resource: data, resources and maps about soil.
- Soil Resource Development Institute: a resource about preserving soil health.
- Soil Resources: a compilation of soil resource information.
- Summerhouses: summerhouses are a perfect place to explore soil makeup.
- Soil and the Past: learn how rocks and soil can give you a glimpse into long ago events.
- Read about it: resources to guide you to books and activities about soil.
- Soil resources: games and puzzles about natural resources.
- Dig In!: a bibliography designed for kids in grades K-8.
- Conservation: activities related to conservation for kids
- Soil is Alive!: fun resources about soil conservation.
- Just for Kids!: Science info on soil for kids only!