When it comes to finishing the roof, there are a number of shed roofing options available. In addition to price, it is important to consider both functionality and appearance when investigating how to roof a shed. An unappealing roof can detract from the overall enjoyment of the building. Getting the right balance of form, function, and cost is key.
Typical Roofing Options include:
Traditional Roof Felt
Professional roofing felts come in different colours and weights or thickness. The felt used on a shed roof is usually 3.5k or 4k. The weight goes up per square metre of coverage. For a small shed, 3.5k is sufficient. It is recommended to use 4k on larger sheds.
- How to felt a Shed Roof | eHow UK – http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_8667342_felt-shed-roof.html
- How to Felt a Shed Roof – http://www.fixmyroof.co.uk/how-to-felt-a-shed-roof/
- How to install Shed felt – http://www.ikogroup.co.uk/SiteFiles/Content/MediaLibrary/Documents/Literature%20Library/Brochures/Shed-Felt-How-to-_2_.pdf
- Repairing or Replacing Shed roof felt – http://www.diy-extra.co.uk/shed-roof-felt.html
- Roofing felt shed: tips on how to replace and remove damaged felt – http://home.excite.co.uk/roofing-felt-shed.html
- How to Fix Shed Felt to Your Shed Roof – https://youtu.be/q9KdIQZX1fs
- How to felt a shed roof – https://youtu.be/CfUOUDzUSu0
- How to Felt a Shed Roof using professional grade Roofing Felt – https://youtu.be/WBq8o6_O-u8
- Re-Felting a Shed Roof – https://youtu.be/Ib0n5dHig0Y
- New Flat Roof Installation In England – https://youtu.be/IAGw8AzhZJY
Bitumen Corrugated Sheets
Bituminous roofing systems provide durability and are ideal for sheds and other outdoor structures. Bitumen shed roofing sheets are typically sized 2m x 950mm. These panels are popular because they are easy to handle, cut, shape, and fix.
- How to Install Corrugated Bitumen Sheets | eHow UK – http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7762446_install-corrugated-bitumen-sheets.html
- Onduline Corrugated Bitumen Installation Guide – https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/user/u/files/ariel-onduline-fixing-guide.pdf
- Corrugated Bitumen Sheet Installation Guide – http://www.roofingventilation.co.uk/Coroline-Corrugated-Bitumen-Roof-Sheet-26mm
- Installation Instructions, Documents, and Downloads – http://ondura.com/installation-instructions-ondura.shtml
- Bituwell Installation Guide – http://bituwell.de/cms/installationguide.html
- Corrugated Bitumen Installation Video – http://www.varicoltd.com/corrugatedbitumensheetgreen.html
- Onduline Bitumen Sheet installation – https://www.cabp.co.uk/Roofing-Sheets/Corrugated-Sheets/Onduline-Bitumen-Corrugated.htm
- BTM Corrubit Installation Video – https://youtu.be/eCHliRQQpSg
- How to re-roof a shed with Onduline corrugated roofing sheets – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUn9oIHt8Lc
- How to fix Onduline roofing sheets – https://youtu.be/XwMA9hIlrus
PVC Corrugated Sheets & Polycarbonate Sheets
PVC corrugated sheets are great roofing options when you want to let a bit of light through to the items below. This is an ideal material for a shed that is going to be used to house plants. The sheets come in a wide array of thickness options, allowing you to control just how much light comes through, or for you to use these sheets over important areas, such as in carports.
Polycarbonate sheets are approximately 300 times stronger than glass as a roofing material, making it ideal to cover backyard sheds of all shapes and sizes. It can be bent or shaped to fit on your shed with ease, giving you the perfect cover for locations such as pools, greenhouses, and patios.
- How to Fit Corrugated PVC Sheets – http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7871742_fit-corrugated-pvc-sheets.html
- Installing Single Skin Corrugated Sheeting – http://www.coverworld.co.uk/materials-colours/installation-instructions/single-skin-corrugated-sheeting/
- Preparing, Cutting, and Installing Polycarbonate Sheets – http://www.diy-extra.co.uk/polycarbonate-roofing-sheets.html
- Basic How-to of Installing Polycarbonate Sheets – http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_8277230_install-polycarbonate-sheets.html
- Polycarbonate Roofing Installation Guide – http://www.sidey.co.uk/tncsite/downloads/brochures/K2_Roof_Installation_Guide.pdf
- Fitting Corrugated Roof in Timelapse – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZvPC22y7x4
- PVC Corrugated Roofing – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5roF73cCt2Y
- Multi-wall Polycarbonate Fitting Instruction Video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQEmvwlpfXA
- How to Install a Polycarbonate Roofing Sheet – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDOgJRoh_x8
- How to Install Ariel Corolux PVC Roofing Sheets – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vk5-EhY9Dk
Asphalt Roof Shingles
Roofing shingles are becoming a more popular way of topping sheds all around the world. The boxes with asphalt shingles typically are able to cover three square metres, and they come in a very large assortment of colours. Your roof should be safe from major repairs or replacement for between 20 and 40 years, because when they are nailed down to the shed’s roof, they end up double layered.
- How to Install Roof Shingles – http://roof-shingles.co.uk/instructions/
- How to Install Roof Shingles on a Shed – http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_4828837_install-roof-shingles-shed.html
- How to Build a Shed Roof Over a Deck – http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7290374_build-shed-roof-over-deck.html
- How to Build a Shed Roof – http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/How-to-Build-a-Shed-Roof-/10000000205245194/g.html
- How to Fix Roofing Shingles to Your Shed – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUSGEmOZMyE
- DIY How to Apply Shingles on Your Roof – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdLahiPBWWs
- How to Felt and Shingle a Roof – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cEtLlYPSB0
- How to Shingle a Shed Roof – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eovd5-gSAQY
- How to Build a Shed – Part 9 – Install Asphalt Shingles on a Shed Roof – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0wwu-jlY2M
Using cedar shingles to cover your shed gives it a natural appeal. Cedar is naturally weather- and bug- resistant, making it ideal for outdoor uses. Cedar shed roof shingles can come in many colours, and even numerous different shapes. They can be customised to fit the look of any backyard shed whilst still giving you a long-lasting level of protection.
- How to Install Cedar Shingles – http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2007360_install-cedar-shingles.html
- Cedar Shake Installation Guide – http://www.johnbrash.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/JB-Cedar-Shakes-Installation-Guide.pdf
- An Introduction to Cedar Shingles – http://www.vincenttimber.co.uk/products/cedarshingles/
- Instructions for Fitting Cedar Shingle Roof Kit – http://www.euroheat.co.uk/ImgShare/1010329274IN1185%20Shingle%20Roof%20Fitting%20Instructions%20Ed%20A%20Low%20Res.pdf
- Western Red Cedar Shingles and Shakes – http://www.bpindex.co.uk/res/pdfs/b53b146ff2a602.pdf
- An Introduction to Cedar Shingles – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iycxNjSE6ho
- Quick Installation of Cedar Shingles – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FMHcPU9hIQ
- How to Install Cedar Shingles – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpPBNEbfpsc
- Cedar Shingles and Shakes – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJv8WbST7Ls
- How to Shingle a Roof with Cedar Shingles – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTY7ywxqJd4
The roof on your shed is going to be what protects the items you hold in your shed, and part of what gives your shed character. Take a little bit of time to figure out what the best shed roof finishing will be for your shed, then follow the resources listed above to top off your shed with your own personalised approach. You can then get the best look for your budget, and get a material that is going to last, ideally, as long as your shed.