Everyone is in need of a bit of extra space at one time or another. A Garden Shed from Garden Buildings Direct can deliver the ideal solution. Whether it is required to provide outdoor storage for seasonal items, serve as a craft room, a workshop, a potting shed, an office or even supply the added outdoor living space of a summerhouse. Depending on your needs, you can select a premium quality, affordable, long lasting wooden shed or a durable, high quality, maintenance free metal shed from Garden Buildings Direct. You’ll even find reliable, long-wearing, quality plastic sheds. At Garden Buildings Direct, we’ll help you find your ideal shed solution and quickly deliver your product to your home.
Building Your Shed – Where to Begin
There are several considerations when you are ready to make your selection and add a shed to your garden. You’ll need to choose the design that best meets your needs and desires as well as shows off your personal style, understand the functionality required and which shed will fill that role perfectly. Let’s not forget that you’ll also want to choose the ideal location for your shed in your garden.
- Garden Shed Ideas – A vast array of garden shed ideas fully functional, all designed to enhance the beauty of your garden.
- Cool Garden Shed Ideas – From rustic to urban and every style in between; take a look at all the possibilities for your new garden shed.
- How to Choose a Garden Shed – Because sheds vary in weather resistance, strength and longevity, it’s important to understand the various types of shed cladding before you make your decision.
- How to Buy the Best Shed – Understand different shed materials and why size and location matter in you shed.
- Choosing a Garden Shed – Gain greater knowledge on diverse shed building materials and the benefits of different roof styles for your shed.
- How to Pick the Right Shed – Size and materials make a difference in whether you decide to DIY or hire a professional to construct your shed.
- Sheds & Garden Buildings Buyers Guide – Planning the ideal shed from exterior to interior, electricity to lighting.
There are lots of incredible designs available for your new garden shed. Obviously, if your shed will function as a secure storage area, the design needs will be different from one that would serve as your summerhouse in the garden. Styles at Garden Buildings Direct include Apex, Pent, and Reverse Apex, and each features a multitude of types and sizes. Personal style and preference often plays a role in your design decisions.
Wooden Sheds are the most popular shed choice. When choosing a wooden shed design, you’ll have the option of choosing overlapping (featheredge) styling or shiplap featuring tongue and groove construction. Wooden sheds are made from softwoods – pine, spruce, and cedar. Each style provides a sturdy structure that protects what is inside from weather. Wooden sheds are also warmer in inclement weather than metal or plastic sheds.
Metal Sheds, made from galvanized steel, deliver needed security and function as well as offering design choices like sliding doors and a myriad of colour choices.
Plastic Sheds are the ideal choice if you are on a budget and need large amounts of storage area. They are maintenance free, and because they are lightweight, they can be repositioned as required in your garden.
One final design consideration is your shed base. You’ll need to select a base that is stable, flat, level. This makes concrete or paving slabs the perfect base choice.
- Choosing the Right Shed – Doors, windows, interior walls and built-in make your shed design all your own.
- Top Tips – Choosing a Quality Shed – Explore all the design options to discover your perfect shed choice.
- Design Solutions: Choosing a Shed – Using the why of your shed to determine the design that functions best.
- DIY: How to lay paving slabs (patio) – A myriad of tips for laying your sheds foundation or adding a patio to your design.
- DIY Garden shed decorations ideas – All the tips you’ll need on adding your personal style to your new garden shed.
- Garden Shed Ideas – Great ideas for adding design elements as well as function to your garden shed.
- How to Design your own Garden Shed – Tips and Tricks for everything from building materials to create function for your shed.
Your shed’s functionality is the next on your list of considerations. To begin, decide what size of shed you will need. Of course, you will need to determine how much space is available as well as how much garden space you want to allot for your shed. At Garden Buildings Direct, sizes range from 3’ x 6’ up to 10’ x 20’ so you can find the perfect size to meet your needs.
Shed access is also an important function. You need to be able to enter and exit with ease via sliding doors, double doors, or extended doors.
Your shed should be weatherproof, especially if it will feature electricity, lighting and plumbing. Weatherproofing will also aid in longevity, safety and security.
What functional features you need will depend on your shed’s purpose. An office, craft room or workshop will require lighting, electricity, and even plumbing. It will need to be waterproof, feature windows and security. Whilst a shed functioning as a garden shed, summerhouse, or storage may not require lighting, electricity or windows though it will likely need to be waterproof.
- 8 Surprising uses for Sheds – Totally unexpected uses for your new garden shed.
- Pick the Right Shed for your Yard – Deciding on the function of your shed – do you want a place to store bikes and lawn mowers or something much larger?
- Garden Sheds used to Escape Rows Indoors – Your garden shed refuge – the ideal place to escape.
- Garden Sheds as an Extra Room – In need of a guest bedroom? Your new garden shed could be the ideal solution.
- Different Ways to use Garden Sheds – Want to add entertaining space or a simple, quiet getaway? There are a multitude of options with your new garden shed.
- Gallery of Garden Shed Ideas – Done well your new garden shed can show off your style and function perfectly for your needs.
- Build your own Eco-Shed – Here’s an excellent eco-friendly shed option built on a small budget.
Finally, the location of your shed needs to be decided. You will want at least one metre (three feet) all around your shed to give you the access needed as well as allow for maintenance or landscaping. You want to ensure your determined entry way is clear for easy entry. If your shed is being used for storage of outdoor items, you’ll want to choose a convenient location that encourages everyone from children to adults to put away their ‘toys’ when activities are complete. Consider your shed’s purpose and allow that to help you determine the location. Will your shed be a focal point of your garden or should it be located in a more discrete location?
As you plan the location consider the landscaping (existing or to be added). Regardless of your shed’s function, you’ll still want it to complement your home and garden. You may want to add flowers, shrubs, or vines on trellises to add to the aesthetics of your shed. A pathway leading to your shed made of pavers or flagstone is also a novel touch.
- Before Choosing Outdoor Shed Location – Check out these tips for wood preservation when choosing your shed location.
- Storage Shed Location Tips – Shed storage location is important – here’s how to avoid the wrong location in your garden.
- Placement of your Garden Shed – Choose a location that is not only convenient but offers easy access from your entire garden.
- Guide to Building a Garden Shed – Considering all the options for your shed to select the ideal location.
- Garden Shed FAQ – Location, position and base can make all the difference in the placement of your shed so choose wisely.