One of the greatest challenges for any botany student is the identification of plants. With more than 375,000 known species of plants in the world and more being discovered, botanists certainly have a lot of material to consider, but it will be very hard to carry out any meaningful research, without a good resource center. On the other hand, gardening enthusiasts may not find all the necessary tips in gardening books, no matter how hard they look. Fortunately, botanists and gardeners can get almost any kind of information about any kind of plant, easily, on the internet. Here’s the ultimate plant identification and reference guide.
- Annual Flowers: Extensive collection of annual flowers with information such as scientific name, flowering season, picture, and more, arranged in alphabetical order.
- Common Annuals: A list of common annual plants with information about scientific name, common name, height, pictures, etc.
- Introduction to Plant Identification: Provides good descriptions of various annual flowers with links to photos.
- Plant Facts: More than 100 species of annual plants with information and pictures, plus audio pronunciation of scientific name.
- Annual Plants: A very detailed definition of annual plants.
- Selector Guide: A list of links to information on some biennial plants with pictures.
- Biennial Plants: Definition of biennial plants with some examples.
- Breeding Biennial Crops: Provides instructions on the methods to breed biennials.
- Biennial Wormwood: A study of the nature and characteristics of biennial wormwood, covering identification, occurrence, distribution, and more.
- Biennials: A list of biennial plants with scientific and common names.
- Perennials: Some instructions on how and when to plant perennial plants, with links to perennial gardening, soil amendment, and more.
- Perry’s Perennial Pages: Great archive on perennial plants with information on flowering perennials, foliage perennials, weeds, with lots of photos.
- Planting Perennials: Discusses the planting of flowering perennials in Alabama.
- Texas Perennials: A list of perennials found in Texas, with pictures and other vital information.
- Growing Perennials: Provides information and instructions on growing perennials with list of perennials for different purposes, soil types, etc.
Plant Care Guides
- Plant Care Guides: Superb offering by the National Gardening Association, with expert advice, how-to projects, how-to videos, and more.
- House Plants: Great guide on plant care covering such topics like plant selection, transportation, environmental factors, media, and more.
- Plant Care Websites: Extensive list of websites on plant care.
- Roses: Provides good instructions on caring for roses.
- Plant Care: A collection of various plants, with links to care guides and more information.
- Natural Yard Care: Provides a 5-step approach on how to care for your yard.
- Gardening Tips: Free gardening tips from monthly publication Pesticide Action Network.
- Home and Garden Tips: Some links to gardening tips by the Natural Resources Conservation Service.
- Growing Herbs: Provides information and a lot of tips on growing and cultivating herbs.
- Container Gardens: A lot of great tips for making beautiful container gardens.
Plant Identification Guides
- Plants Database: Comprehensive identification guide to plants by the United States Department of Agriculture.
- Find Wild Flowers: The official site of the Botanical Society of the British Isles with resources to help you identify a plant, record a plant, etc.
- The Plant Identification Guide: A great guide by the Wetland Health Evaluation Program.
- Plant Identification Guide: A collection of diagrams to help you identify leaf forms, shapes, and margins.
- Plant Identification: Resource center with good links to great plant identification sites.
- Vegetable Plating Guide: Planting guide for cool and warn season vegetables with table for germination temperature, plant spacing, etc.
- Planting Guides: Planting guides for different regions in New Zealand.
- Vegetable Garden: A very good vegetable planting guide with the best planting dates.
- Companion Planting Guide: Great guide on different plants such as apple, beans, catnip, mint, and others.
- Pawpaw Planting Guide: Easy-to-follow guide for planting the pawpaw tree.
Organic Gardening Tips
- Organic Gardening Tips: Useful tips covering certification, rotation, attractants, repellents, and more.
- Organic Gardener’s Composting: A place to download the online text of the book by Steve Solomon.
- 50 Organic Gardening Tips: Many tips to help you grow your organic garden.
- Pest Control: Good suggestions for pest control in your organic garden.